Orthodontics for Teens
Braces come in a variety of styles, materials, and colors making life with braces easier, more comfortable, and even more stylish. There are several treatment options to choose from, including traditional metal, ceramic, and Invisalign & clear aligners.
Orthodontic Options for Your Teen
At Las Vegas Braces, we treat patients of all ages, but it is most common for them to have braces in their teens. At this age, kids have most or all their adult teeth but their jawbone is still forming, making it easier for their teeth to shift so treatment time is typically shorter than for older patients. Once you bring your child to our office for their initial consultation and complete any necessary early treatment, you’ll return when they reach adolescence to begin Phase II orthodontic treatment.
By using advanced orthodontic technology and creating an individualized treatment plan, catered to the specific needs, preferences, and lifestyle of our patients, we’re able to achieve results that will last a lifetime.
Why Is Adolescence the Best Time For Treatment?
Each child’s situation is unique, and sometimes additional intervention is needed to begin correcting orthodontic issues and prevent oral health issues down the line. However, the most popular time to begin treatment is anywhere between ages 9-12. During this time, most children have lost all their baby teeth and have a full set of permanent teeth with subsequent orthodontic problems. Braces and other orthodontic appliances work in tandem with the teenage growth spurt and higher metabolism levels, so that treatment is completed in an efficient and effective manner.
The Benefits Of Treatment
Adolescence is the perfect time to begin receiving treatment for the following reasons:
- Improved Facial Appearance & Oral Health – As your teen progresses through orthodontic treatment, you’ll notice positive changes to their appearance and smile. Also, straighter teeth and a healthier smile are much easier to maintain, making trips to the dentist a breeze.
- Positive Social Experience – Most of your teen’s classmates and friends will also have braces, making it that much easier to get your child to come to every appointment. They’ll be excited to wear braces with their friends, and go through the experience with their peers!
- Saves Time & Money – The longer you wait to solve orthodontic issues, the worse they can become. Choosing to align treatment with your child’s natural growth and development will save you time, money, and minimize overall treatment time.
Popular Treatments At Las Vegas Braces
- Traditional Metal Braces – When people think of orthodontic treatment, they think of metal braces. They remain one of the most efficient and cost-effective treatment methods, and today’s metal braces are smaller and more comfortable. Teens also enjoy customizing the colors of their braces.
- Clear Braces – For a more discreet treatment option, we offer clear braces with brackets made out of a ceramic materials. It’s important for patients to pay special attention to their oral hygiene, as the elastic ties can discolor in between visits to our office.
- Invisalign Teen – Invisalign is a series of clear, plastic removable trays that move teeth into optimal position over a period of time. Modern orthodontic technology has created specialized aligners for teens, with “compliance indicators” to show Dr. Griffiths, Dr. Simister, or Dr. Whiting if they’re being worn as prescribed. They’re nearly impossible to notice, and are great for busy teens.
- Orthodontic Appliances – If major tooth movement is needed, we may recommend other small devices to prepare the teeth for treatment. For example, we use rapid palatal expanders to expand the jaw and make room for growing teeth.
To ensure your treatment progresses as planned, it’s important to follow our orthodontists’ instructions, recommendations, and list of foods to avoid.
After your teen completes treatment and has a beautiful, straight smile, it’s important that they understand the work isn’t over yet. Orthodontic retention begins right after treatment ends, and Dr. Griffiths, Dr. Simister, or Dr. Whiting will work with you to provide a retainer that fits your needs and lifestyle. We recommend wearing your customized retainer as much as possible for the first three to six months, then wear it each night for the rest of your life!
How It Works
1. Getting to Know You
Your initial visit to Las Vegas Braces is the first step toward your ideal smile. We understand that choosing orthodontic care is significant. During your first visit, our orthodontists use diagnostic records, including photos and X-rays, to create a customized treatment plan. These records also track your progress as your teeth shift, ensuring a comprehensive understanding of your needs and goals.
2. Custom Treatment Plan
We’ve invested in the latest orthodontic technology to provide each patient with a customized treatment plan that’s perfect for their specific goals and budget. If you’re a good candidate for braces, our team can help you get started with Same-Day Braces! We save our patients money and time! No matter your age, we can help you get the smile you’ve always wanted with treatment as comfortable and convenient as possible.
3. Your New Smile
Our friendly Treatment Coordinators will ensure you understand your financing options and insurance benefits. We offer simple financing with payments as low as $150 a month for braces or Invisalign® with no credit check. If you have dental or orthodontic insurance, we’ll happily assist you in applying your benefits, and the price becomes even better! We accept Aetna, Cigna, Delta Dental®, Guardian, and many more insurance plans to make braces in Las Vegas affordable.
FAQs About Teens
Do braces hurt?
Braces or Invisalign don’t “hurt,” but for the first couple days you may feel some slight discomfort. When there is soreness, Motrin or Advil (ibuprofen) can help ease the discomfort.
Can I return to school the day I receive my braces?
Absolutely. There’s no reason why you shouldn’t be able to return to your normal daily life.
Will my teeth straighten as I grown?
Unfortunately, no. Orthodontic issues, such as spacing and malocclusions, tend to worsen with age. It’s important to be examined as early as possible, to ensure these problems are corrected sooner rather than later.
Can I schedule all of my appointments after school?
We do our best to schedule you for the most convenient times based on your busy schedule, but cannot make any guarantees. However, most appointments are scheduled 4-10 weeks apart, so you or your child will miss minimal work/school time.
Can I still play sports with braces or aligners?
Of course! We do recommend that you use a mouthguard to protect your mouth during treatment.
Will my speech be affected?
When you first start wearing Invisalign, you may notice that your speech is not as clear as it normally is. This is nothing to panic about, as you simply must get used to wearing the aligners. Just spend a bit of time speaking or singing out loud while wearing your aligners and before you know it, your speech will return to normal.
What are you waiting for?
Feel Confident in Your New Smile!
Ready to start your smile transformation? Look no further than Las Vegas Braces, where we specialize in creating beautiful smiles that will leave you feeling confident and happy. Our experienced team is dedicated to providing exceptional orthodontic care tailored to your unique needs. Visit us today, and let us help you achieve the smile of your dreams!